1. Members must be 18 years old or over to borrow and use tools from the HNL Tool Library (“HNLTL”.)
2. Only the Member is authorized to use HNLTL tools. The Member shall not permit the use of items checked out to him or her by any other person.
3. HNLTL staff may be available to assist in explaining the operation of tools. However, by taking possession of any item, the Member is certifying that he or she is capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner.
4. Tools may only be returned during HNLTL’s business hours. All tools borrowed are to be returned to HNLTL by close of business on their due date.
5. If a tool is returned late, the Member will be responsible for late fees. Late fees are capped at the value of the tool plus a $10 administrative fee per tool. If a tool is 60 days late, membership is permanently revoked. HNLTL may replace severely delinquent tools, holding the Member responsible for the full replacement cost plus the $10 administrative fee. Fines must be paid in full before borrowing additional items. Click here to see the current late fees amounts.
6. HNLTL reserves the right to use appropriate steps to retrieve delinquent tools or unpaid fines and fees, including the use of a card on file, collection agency and/or legal action. The Member will be responsible for all associated costs of such. HNLTL also reserves the right to forgive fees due to special circumstances.
7. All tools are to be returned in the same or better condition as they were issued, barring normal wear and tear. All tools must be returned clean. The Member agrees to pay for the loss or damage of any item and further agrees to accept HNLTL’s assessment of condition of items and to further agree to HNLTL’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency, and/or loss of items in part or in total. This restitution amount could equal the full replacement cost of the item plus the $10 administrative fee. A $5 Cleaning Fee will be charged for every item that's returned dirty as per HTL staff assessment of conditions.
8. Members may ask to renew each tool once if they contact HNLTL prior to the due date; however, HNLTL reserves the right to refuse or limit renewals and will do so based on demand. If renewal acceptance is not received, member must return the tool on the original due date, or pay any late penalty fees if returning at a later time.
9. Please notify HNLTL staff if an item needs maintenance.
The Member agrees that HNLTL is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed tools.
10. The Member agrees that if any borrowed tool becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, he or she must immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify HNLTL of the issue upon return, if not earlier.
11. HNLTL reserves the right to refuse the loan of any item at its discretion.
12. Prior to borrowing tools, all Members must (a) create an account; (b) sign the Waiver and Indemnification Form; (c) have their residence confirmed by an HNLTL volunteer or staff member; (d)provide a credit/debit card to use as payment method. Identity is confirmed by presenting a valid government issued photo ID.